From planning and zoning, land development, construction codes, leasing and asset management, government policies profoundly impact the commercial real estate industry.
NAIOP Maryland has developed a comprehensive set of legislative advocacy services and is the leading voice for the CRE industry with state and local governments.
- NAIOP Maryland’s Legislative Committee assesses, and tracks hundreds of bills filed with the Maryland General Assembly each year and orchestrates strategic lobbying efforts to educate legislators and shape state law.
- Through the Penny Per Square Foot Fund (an endowment generated by NAIOP-MD members), the chapter employs a full-time lobbyist and contracts experts to produce academic research and legal responses to key legislative issues.
- NAIOP Maryland provides ongoing representation on numerous policy-making organizations, including the Maryland Sustainable Growth Commission, the Maryland Commission on Climate Change and the Governor’s Advisory Committee on Water Quality and Nutrient Trading.
- The NAIOP Maryland Political Action Committee strategically contributes to members of the General Assembly who have responsibility for CRE legislative issues.
- NAIOP Maryland has expanded its involvement with local governments – monitoring and assessing proposed master plans, zoning changes and other relevant laws, and providing legislative advocacy on behalf of the CRE industry.
By leveraging the experience and expertise of our member companies NAIOP Maryland’s legislative work helps create a healthy business environment for CRE which provides state-wide economic and social benefits. Our efforts have been recognized with NAIOP’s national awards for Best Communications Program and Best Government Relations Program.